FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Bikram Yoga was created the early 1970’s by Bikram Choudhury, founder of the internationally renowned Yoga College of India. Bikram is a life-long yogi who began practicing yoga at the age of 4 and won the first of his three National India Yoga Championships at the age of 13. When Bikram was just 17 years old he suffered a an accident while weightlifting that severely damaged his knees – so much so that doctors predicted he would never walk again. Undaunted by the prognosis Bikram was convinced that he would be able to heal himself through yoga. With the support of his first teacher and founder of the College of Physical Education in Calcutta, Bishnu Ghosh, Bikram began an intense daily practice of Hatha Yoga. He was completely healed after 6 months of consistent practice.
The experience of re-building and healing his own body inspired Bikram to develop a sequence of Hatha Yoga postures that would allow other practitioners to experience the same physical and benefits that he gained from his own practice. Almost four decades have passed since Bikram first introduced this unique form of yoga to the United States and the world. It is one of the fastest growing yoga practices with over (x?) studios operating around the globe. Millions have flocked to this practice seeking a respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life and a departure from other forms of exercises, which tear down the body rather than build it up.
Bikram Yoga classes are 90 minutes in length and place in a room that is heated to 105°F with a humidity level of 40%. The heat helps to improve your flexibility and your lung capacity. It also provides you with an anaerobic workout that gets your heart pumping. The class consists of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. The classes are not easy. And it does take time to adjust to the heat and the postures. However, the physical and mental benefits that come with consistent practice are well worth the effort. If you set an intention to bring your personal best to the hot room there is no limit to what you can accomplish!
- Always leave the yoga room quietly and allow your fellow students to enjoy their final relaxation (Savasana) at the end of class.
- Please place all Bikram Yoga towels and mats in the laundry baskets provided.
- Please use the recycle bins for all plastic bottles.
- Be courteous to each other–keep shower time under 3 minutes.
- Please do not leave your belongings behind. Lost and found is donated on the 1st and 15th of each month.
- Please do not bring your bags or extra clothes into the yoga room.
- Lockers are available for daytime use, but you must bring your own lock (personal lock only needed at BikramYogaWorks Boston).
- Please be silent in the yoga room.
- Please, no cell phones or chewing gum allowed in the yoga room
- Please turn cell phones off when entering the studio.
- Please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, or strongly scented products in class.
- All students must use a mat and towel.
- Please do not walk through class during postures.
- Please try to remain in class the entire 90 minutes. This is for your benefit, as well as for the other students in class. If you must leave, please do so quietly.
- The studio will be open 30 minutes prior to and close 30 minutes after each class.
- First time students must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to class for orientation – this includes visiting Bikram Yoga students, regardless of experience. All other students please arrive prepared for class 10 minutes early to sign in and allow your body to adjust to the heat.
- All new students must read and sign a waiver-release form before admittance.
- CLASS CARDS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE, AND NON-EXTENDABLE. THEY CANNOT BE SHARED.
- Please leave your shoes in the changing room or out of the way in the lobby. Shoes are not permitted in the hot room.
- Please inform the front desk staff of any injuries that may prevent you from executing the poses fully so that s/he can let the instructor know.
- Please be on time. Latecomers will not be allowed to enter the hot room once class has begun.
Thank you so much for your purchase of a GROUPON to check out our studio space. We are excited to have you join our community. For your first visit you will need to come in to the studio and show us your GROUPON; Please bring it on your phone so we can easily redeem it. We will create an account for you and add your GROUPON to it. After your first visit, you will be able to register for classes on your own through your MindBody Online login. Please note that Goupons are only for first time visitors to our studios. Still have questions about your GROUPON? Send an email to: email@example.com
If you previously purchased a GROUPON through our studios and it has expired, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monthly-auto debit memberships are just what it sounds like. This is a monthly payment that comes out of your account on file on the same date everything month. It is our BEST DEAL for those wishing to start and maintain a regular practice. When you sign up for a monthly auto-debit membership, you have a minimum three-month commitment and after that you can terminate your membership with a 30 day written notice. We only accept cancellations in writing. Monthly auto-debit is the easiest and most convenient way for you to access the many classes and services offered through our studio. If you have questions about your auto-debit membership or to set one up, please send an email to: email@example.com
If you have a MasterCard or Visa issued by your insurance company then it is an easy swipe. Your can purchase your membership in studio or online using your card.
We can issue you a proper receipt that would be acceptable to your insurance company. Just inbox us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can obtain a “letter of medical necessity” from your doctor which will be filed with your insurance company. This will ensure that the charges are not rejected. The letter of medical necessity can be found on your insurance company’s website. Call your doctor and make an appointment. Share with them the benefits you’ve received from a consistent yoga practice including stress reduction, weight loss, flexibility, reduction in symptoms of arthritis, etc. Bikram yoga can help you with many ailments that arise from our daily lives.
A consistent Bikram Yoga practice can do amazing things for your body including:
- Weight loss
- Detoxification (specific)
- Increased lung capacity
- Toned muscles
- Increased flexibility
- Improved sleep patterns
The benefits also extend beyond the hot room including:
- Peace of mind
- A greater sense of balance
- Increased confidence
- Drink plenty of water before class! Being properly hydrated before class will help regulate your body temperature
- Avoid eating a heavy meal within 2 hours before your class.
- Avoid over indulging in alcohol, caffeinated drinks and overly processed foods the night before your class.
- Arrive to the studio at least 20 minutes before your first class so that we can sign you in and get you settled. Please note that all of our classes start on time. To support students in maintaining their focus and the integrity of their practice, latecomers are not permitted to enter the studio once class has begun.
It is best to wear loose and comfortable clothing. Most women wear yoga tops with yoga shorts or yoga pants. Most men yoga shorts, bikers, or basketball shorts with no tops. As we mentioned above, the room does get hot so you will want to wear breathable fabrics that don’t constrict your movements. But please, no bikinis or underwear in the hot room!
No worries! Coming to the hot room with an open mind is the only flexibility you need. Your physical flexibility doesn’t matter. And neither does your level of fitness. As long as you bring 100% of YOUR best to the room you will get 100% of the benefits of practicing Bikram Yoga!
- Yoga mat
- 1 towel (2 if you plan to shower after class)
- Water bottle
We have yoga mats, towels, and water available for rent/purchase if you need them.
- Drink plenty of water! The average person burns approximately 700 calories per class. Rehydrating your body after class will help regulate your body temperature and
- Eat a light, clean meal avoiding heavy processed food, alcohol and caffeine.
- Come back to the hot room as soon as you can! We encourage you to take full advantage of the introductory package and take at least 4 consecutive classes immediately following your first class. This will allow your body and mind to get use to the heat and the postures.
- Tell us about it! Send us an email or fill out one of our guest cards to let us know about your experience. We’d love to hear from you!